Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Addiction

I've always heard that admitting you have a problem is the first step in curing an addiction.
Well, here goes...My name is Kathy and I'm a Jewel-aholic!


I blame it partially on my sister-in-law, Susan. A couple of months ago, she hooked me up with her "dealer" who buys up the whole lot of loot at estate sales, pulls out the precious metal items and then sells off the remaining bits and pieces to addicts like myself.


I can't resist the allure of shiny metal, the sparkle of rhinestones, and the creamy white glow of vintage faux pearls. I find satisfaction in sorting though and organizing my new jewels. This is the second shoebox full that I've purchased - 5 1/2 pounds of bling! The problem is that even though I've spent time dreaming of what I could create,
I haven't actually made anything yet.


I do have a plan for the new year, though. It is my self-appointed JA (Jewel-aholics Anonymous) 12-step program to help justify my addictive habit. I vow to make at least one item each month for the next twelve months. Who knows, I may even sell one or two pieces and then I can make more trips to my "dealer's" house!

I have my first piece in the works and I will be sharing it in a couple of days.

***Side note about my sister-in-law, Susan... She is an amazingly talented woman who gives new life to all sorts of discarded and found objects. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed when you check out her fabulous creations at

Update: Links to each challenge project that I've finished.
Step 2 - February - Tin Heart
Step 3 - March - Good Luck Wishes
Step 6 - June - It's Heating Up!
Step 7 - July - Golden Dreams
Bonus Project - Masquerade Mask

9 comments:

  1. You have described EXACTLY how I feel about boxes of old buttons. There is just something about the treasure hunt through the pile - oh, yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me giggle! I am totally addicted to shiny, sparkly things too, I should be a magpie :) Can't wait to see your creations, good luck with your 12-step program lol! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we've got enough people with a similar addiction that we could form a support group. :)

    I like your 12-step plan. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, you're too funny (and too kind)! I have the same problem with jewelry, as you know, and because of your shoe-to-jewelry posts, I now find myself contemplating the purchase of more shoes...and I really don't need more shoes! I hope to reduce my jewelry piles this year also, so I'm looking forward to some great inspiration from you! Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of addiction, Kathy! Pure eye candy to me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...I think I have a problem too...and now after seeing your loot...I'm may have gone off the edge...Oh Kat...what is there to do...but share.heehee.Hugs,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all of us women will single-handedly
    up-cycle and re-purpose the earth!!!

    See ya soon!!!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in the same situation! I love my jewelry stash and always looking for more! Happy treaure hunting to all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was left some vintage jewelry and at the time said I would never wear any of it, now I can't get enough of it. Garage sales ,auctions,e-bay, thrift stores I'm obsessed!!! There's so many things to make with the odd pieces , fix the stones and make something creative but I been doing more "pinning" than doing, I just keep getting more IDEAS!!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy